Friday, November 16, 2007

Today's Post is Brought to You By the Atomic Symbol "Bi"

Which, by the way, has nothing to do with bisexuality.

In the "I Never Noticed That Before" department, I was picking up some Pepto-Bismol up at the store for a stomach complaint I'd recently had. I was reading the front of the box (because there's not much else to read in the OTC meds aisle) and noticed that the official, chemical name for the rancid anti-barf bubblegum is "Bismuth subsalicylate."

Subsalicylate? Oh, there's aspirin in this stuff. Does that mean that you shouldn't give it to kids? I used it all the time when I was a kid and...

Wait. Bismuth. Bismol. Duh.

Medicine brand names are weird stuff. But it's interesting to see where they come from.

And yes, my stomach feels much better now.

No comments: